Please contact the Omics-NL community manager to learn more about this community and/or if you want to contribute.
The community has its roots in the X-omics Initiative, which is part of NWO’s National Roadmap for Large-Scale Research Infrastructures. The initiative, coordinated by Professor Alain van Gool, is a collaboration of Radboudumc, UMC Utrecht, Utrecht University, Leiden University, Leiden University Medical Centre, UMCG, University of Groningen, Netherlands Cancer Institute, and Erasmus MC.
Within Health-RI, this expert community in genomics, proteomics, metabolomics, or data integration & analysis will connect with other communities, promoting further crosstalk and exchange expertise and knowledge. And thus establishing a broader multi-omics community under the umbrella of Health-RI.
Alain van Gool
Now's the time to further connect Dutch Omics groups and establish the collective network of the strongest Omics hubs in the world!
To develop personalized medicine and health solutions, researchers need to combine a variety of data types, for instance omics data (genomics, proteomics, metabolomics), imaging data, and clinical data. The accompanying data integration & analysis is highly complex, calling for collaboration of various types of experts. Within the Netherlands X-omics Initiative, world-leading innovative Omics groups develop far beyond the state-of-art omics technologies and make these available to users.
Within the Omics-NL community, this can be further improved by exchanging expertise and knowledge and applied in multi-omics approaches in various research areas.
Topics the Omics-NL community is working on
- genomics and imaging, e.g., within BBMRI,
- transcriptomics/metabolomics and microfluidics, e.g., in lab-on-a-chip analyses,
- proteomics and CryoEM and NMR in protein structure analyses
- metabolomics and infrared spectroscopy to identify novel biochemical biomarkers.
Activities planned for 2020/2021
- Communicate about relevant initiatives in the OMICS field and involve the broader community in the Netherlands standards setting
- Develop (online) training materials and organize workshops on FAIRifying OMICS data, technological omics approaches
- Metadata for machine workshops
We expect that special interest groups will form to focus on themes such as separate omics techniques (genomics, proteomics, metabolomics), data analysis, integration & stewardship, and applications.
Mode of operation & governance Omics-NL community
X-omics’ mode of operation will be extended to the broader multi-omics community:
- provide access to the multi-omics facilities to enable researchers to use the newest multi--omics technologies in their projects and drive new insights in biology
- organize courses and develop training materials on multi-omics approaches and meetings to expand the Dutch multi-omics community
to be determined
Related communities and projects, relevant websites, social media
- X-omics initiative
- Beyond 1 Million Genomes (B1MG) /1+MG
- European ‘1+Million Genomes Initiative (1+MG)
- COVID-19 Metabolomics
- Medical Delta Field Lab Phenomix
- ETH Training; DTL Technology Hotels / ZonMw Enabling Technology Hotels programme:
- ELIXIR Metabolomics and Proteomics community
- EATRIS Biomarker group / EATRIS Plus
- COVID-19 ZonMw projecten